History Imperial Distillery

The History of the Imperial Distillery

  • 1897: Construction Imperial distillery by Thomas Mackenzie, the architect Charles Chree Doig (1855-1918)
  • 1898: Taken over by Dailuaine-Talisker Distilleries Ltd.
  • 1899: Closed (Pattison whisky crisis).
  • 1916: Taken over by Distillers Company Limited, W.P. Lowrie, Johnnie Walker and Dewar's.
  • 1919: Re-opened.
  • 1925: Closed again and completely taken over by Distillers Company Limited (DCL).
  • 1955: Renovation and re-opened, taken over by Scottish Malt Distillers (SMD).
  • 1965: Expanding the number of stills from two to four stills.
  • 1985: Closed again.
  • 1986: Sold to United Distillers.
  • 1989: Taken over by Allied Distillers and re-opened.
  • 1998: Mothballed.
  • 2005: Pernod Ricard buys Allied Domecq and become the new owners of the Imperial distillery.
  • 2013: The buildings of the distillery are demolished.
The name 'Imperial' was inspired by the anniversary of Queen Victoria (reign: 1837-1901).

Source: Maltmadness.com and 'Whisky', Marc A. Hoffmann.

No comments:

Post a Comment